Friday, May 27, 2005

Killer Noodle Salad

My mom asked for this recipe (OK, she asked for a similar one, discovering later that she already had it but I think this one is better) so I'm posting it here since it is most definitely worthy! This is great for summer potlucks - no mayonnaise!

12 to 15 oz chucka soba noodles (two six-oz pk or three five-oz pk; these are dried, also marked chow mein noodles)
1.5t dk sesame oil
.33C rice vinegar
juice and grated peel of 1 fresh lime
.5C soy sauce
2t crushed red pepper flakes or 2t garlic chili sauce
2T granulated sugar
2 cloves garlic
1C grated carrot (about 2 Med)
.75C coarsely chopped dry roasted peanuts
.5C chopped fresh cilantro

Make noodles per pkg. drain, rinse w/cold water and let cool.
Combine everything up to carrots. Mix til sugar is dissolved. Toss in everything else, chopping through noodles if desired to make them more manageable. Let stand at least an hour to mingle flavors & toss again before serving.

leftover cilantro?

11 comments:

Jen said...

this sounds so good! I think we'll have to try it this week, or as soon as it gets hot again. (please God, let it get hot again!)

Jen said...

We made it and it was excellent! I liked it so much I think I am going to try the sauce again tonight on a stir fry. If I thicken it a little with some cornstarch I think it will work!

Leslita said...

Yay! I'm glad you liked it! Did you try the stir fry? How was it?

Jen said...

I did, and it was GOOD. I probably had too much vegetable to sauce ratio (I didn't increase any of the amounts), but it was defintely tasty!

Leslita said...

I made this for a family reunion picnic today and was going to take a photo for the site and forgot - oops. I just wanted to mention I used some of my star-shaped frozen cilantro and I think it worked just fine! I thawed it by running cold water over the cubes in a fine seive over the sink. Seive is one of those e befor i words, isn't it?

Martina said...

This really IS killer noodle salad. After determining that it was ok to eat, even though I haven't technically killed anyone, I had a LOT of it at our picnic over the weekend and it was AWESOME!

Nancy said...

This salad is my new favorite to take to work potlucks. It's good, it's easy and it's vegitarian. All the things that make a work potluck dish good - Plus it REALLY tastes good..........

Anonymous said...

I know this is way later than these postings, but I'm the "Patty" of Patty's Killer Noodle salad. It was originally created in 1995 or 6. Can't really remember. I know it got in Sunset Magazine in 1996.
Anyway, what a kick!

Leslita said...

Hi Patty - thanks for posting - that is so funny! How did it get from Sunset Magazine to be Patty's Killer Noodle Salad and then make its way into the Oregonian FoodDay where I found it?
Mmmm - now I'm dreaming of summer potlucks and how yummy this salad is!

Martina said...

Hi Patty! How cool that you found Leslie's posting of your recipe (which is, I can happily say again, delicious!). Amazing how a an idea can travel about the universe, isn't it?

patty said...

Patty again...much later. In answering leslita how the recipe got from sunset magazine to Oregonian Foodday. I can't remember which came first, Sunset or Foodday, but the Oregonian Foodday had a "Potluck Favorites" recipe contest. Won that! Then a couple years later they reprinted the recipe because so may people kept asking for it. THEN...without me knowing that the Oregonian was up to anything, Foodday voted Killer Noodle as "Recipe of the Decade" at the end of 1999. Now it's been quite a few years since then but it's as popular as ever. I can't tell you how many times I've shown up at a potluck and there's a big bowl of killer noodle. When folks find out that I'm "the" patty of patty's killer noodle they get totally silly and have to share their"killer noodle stories".. Who knew there was such a thing as "killer noodle stories" anyway! ;)P