Saturday, April 16, 2005

I am eating this RIGHT NOW - Chicken Sate Wraps

Well kinda... I am actually typing Right Now, but this is ready, sitting beside me, after a fashion. See, I thought I had tortillas, but I did not so instead of a wrap I served it over spring greens (I was going to do the slaw, but this was easier).

Coconut milk, curry powder, and peanut butter bring Indonesian flair to a quick fix sandwich.

Cooking spray
1/2 cup matchstick-cut carrots
1/3 cup chopped green onions
2/3 cup light coconut milk (I froze the rest)
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (I used pepper flakes and just put in more)
2 cups shredded skinless, boneless, rotisserie chicken breast (OK I did not have that, I cooked some chicken tenders and just used that, I am sure that tofu would work just as well too)
4 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
1 1/3 cups packaged angel hair slaw

1) Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add carrots and onions; satue 1 minute. Stir in coconut milk and next 5 ingredients (through pepper); cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the chicken; cook 1 minute, stirring to coat. Remove from heat; cool. Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture down center of each tortilla, and top each with 1/3 cup angel hair slaw. Roll up. Cover and chill. Yeild: 4 servings (serving size: 1 wrap).
From Cooking Light August 2004

4 comments:

Leslita said...

This sounds really good! Another good use for the second half of a can of coconut milk! I'm sure you're right that tofu would work but I've also found that Whole Paycheck (Foods, but really...) has the most amazing selection of soy "meats" in all the town. It's unfortunate the way they denote this by removing vowels (ie Chick'n), but I made an African Chicken Peanut soup tonight with some Chick'n pieces and it is really super good. I'll post the recipe as soon as I can get a good photo.

Jen said...

Ooh - that sounds good. You should also put up the recipe of whatever that sandwich thing you made yesterday was. That was GOOOOD.

Leslita - I have had some of those soy "meats". Well, not ones from Whole Foods - but... there are definitely some good ones out there. I've had a pretty good "duck" (or would that be d'ck? I think that might be a dangerous abbrevieation), and also scallops.

Leslita said...

Where the heck did you find d'ck & sc'll'ps??? I m'st try th's!!

Jen said...

I've never bought it, but some old school Adventists that I know (who have been eating fake meats forever - which are much better now than back in the "nu meat" days) got it at an asian grocery. I will try to get some more detailed information. All I know is that it comes in a can, and is textured.