Thursday, April 21, 2005

West African Chicken-Peanut Soup


IMG_3152
Originally uploaded by lesliegardner.
I've been wanting to make this recipe forever and ever but wasn't sure what to do with the chicken part. Enter "Chick'n" from Whole Foods Market! Ta-Daaaaahhh! One could hardly tell the difference. I'm sure it would be awesome with the Chicken too.

1C diced cooked chicken or 1pk fake chick'n bits
2/3C diced onion
1.5t minced garlic
2T dark sesame oil
1.5t curry powder
.5t salt
.5t black pepper
.5t crushed red pepper flakes
3C chicken (or vegan!) broth
.25C tomato paste
1C chopped stewed tomatoes, drained
3T chunky peanut butter (I used fresh ground from FM but chunky would probably be more fun. Maybe next time I'll add some chopped peanuts for more texture!)

In a large pot, saute the chicken, onion and garlic (if using fake meat, add at the end of this step just to warm) in the sesame oil for about 10 min, until the onion is tender. Add the curry pwd, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and saute 1 min more.
Add the broth, tomato stuff, and PB, stirring until well combined. Heat until very hot but not boiling. Serve immediately (although I thought it was much more exciting the next day). This soup is spectacular but quite rich. I served it with a Quinoa salad with what ended up being kind of a boring orange dressing and fresh strawberries.

2 comments:

Jen said...

this looks delicious! I am definitely going to try it. Did I tell you I made some vegan vegetable stock? I put too much fresh rosemary and it tasted like soap. I am going to try it again, and this time be a little more thoughtful about my experimental measuring.

Martina said...

I forgot to tell you guys that we made this. It tastes good and is quick to prepare. We didn't have any stewed tomatoes, but we did have some very ripe fresh ones that needed to be used or perish, so I used them instead. That seemed to work just fine. Also, even though I am not a big salt lover, I recommend adding a tiny bit of extra salt, if you use unsalted peanutbutter.
I second Leslie's comment about the richness and getting beter as it sits. Also, the part about not boiling it is not just being nit picky. I actually let it just start to boil and now know that it does taste much better if it is served hot, but not boiling. The consistency is also nicer. Excellent recipe. Thanks, Leslie!