Sunday, February 20, 2005

Vegan Soup Stock


IMG_2635
Originally uploaded by lesliegardner.

I love this recipe since it appeals to my No Waste leanings. If I were a hunter, I'd have to find something very useful to do with eyeballs and earwax but as it is, I don't even like to waste vegetable parts. Now I just save my onion and garlic skins in the fridge until I feel like making broth! It's also a good use of all those glass jars I save!

Ends and skins, but not roots, of one or two onions, rinsed and chopped coarsely
garlic clove peels
2 teaspoons coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon dried garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground dried chili pepper
water to cover

Place vegetable ingredients in a stock pot and add spices on top. Cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes, stiring occasionally.

Remove from heat. Strain and store in a glass jar or other airtight container (discard what is filtered out). Allow container to cool before storing. Refrigerate and use within a few days, or freeze for long-term storage.

Check out Basic Vegan Soup Stock on Boutell.Com's web site.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Wow! That looks really good. Does all that color come from the onion skins? Do you freeze it, or do you usually go through that much vegetable stock before it goes bad? I totally want to have some on hand since the turkey brining recipe calls for it - we made do with some nasty gross vegetable bullion cubes (NEVER AGAIN). This looks soooo much better!

Leslita said...

This is the first time I've frozen it so I'll let you know how that works out! I know what you mean about the weird extra salty boullion cubes!
I do think the color comes mostly from the onion skin. I am always surprised how much flavor is in just skins and ends - this is a nice strong yummy broth!

Jen said...

I am definitely going to try it! I love the idea that it is from stuff that I would normally throw away. I think I am some sort of secret survivalist. I have visions of doing crazy stuff like canning and whatnot. It just seems like a good idea, times being what they are. Or maybe I read too much Little House on the Prarie when I was a kid. If I say I want to have a straw mattress, somebody stop me, OK?
I just remembered that onion skins are/were used for yellow/gold dye, so it makes sense that they would leave behind that much color. It looks so beautiful!