Monday, February 21, 2005

Crazy Apple Beans

I know the apple part sounds kinda weird, but it's actually pretty good - similar to BBQ beans, just maybe a little more tangy from the fruit. Also, you don't have to use Goya beans, though I'm sure the Goya people would love it, if you did. They're actually pretty cheap. You can usually find them in those discount, bag-it-yourself-you-mofo grocery places as they seem to carry a lot of South of the Border products

Beans, Apples & Sausage

1 can Goya Small Red Beans, drained

1/2 lb. sausage, crumbled

2 cups apples, peeled and sliced

1/2 cup light brown sugar

2 medium onions, sliced thin

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 1/2 cups tomato juice

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. black pepper

1/2 tsp. chili powder


1. Sauté sausages until brown.
2. Combine all remaining ingredients with beans and add to sausage.
3. Cover and simmer 30 minutes till apples are soft and tender.

Serves 3-4

4 comments:

Jen said...

This looks good too! I don't think it seems weird - it is the same principle as those meatballs with chili sauce and cranberry sauce. Sweet and hot! YUM! I am really hungry right now and probably should not be reading all these recipes when I am in no position to have them RIGHT NOW.

Martina said...

You should post the meatball recipe. Those were good unlike the version involving grape jelly and ketchup that someone at work gave me. Despite her warnings not to be swayed by the odd combination of ingredients, they really did just taste like gack (or at least grape jelly and ketchup flavored gack).

Leslita said...

Speaking of sweet and hot...tonight at a potluck I had a raspberry-chipotle sauce on cream cheese dip. It was super tasty!
then I took a big old scoop of what I thought was brie on a cracker and It tuned out to be butter. Despite all the truffles I ate to try to counter the experience, I'm not sure I've fully recovered from that one yet. So yukky!

Martina said...

Yum! The Raspberry-Chipotle sauce/dip sounds good! Costco used to sell a bottled Raspberry-Chipotle Barbeque Sauce that was really tasty for summer grilling, so I can see how it would be good together.