Saturday, February 05, 2005

White Bean Chili


IMG_2521
Originally uploaded by lesliegardner.
I was totally unenthralled with this soup until I completed the final step of adding a whole bunch of cheese! Now I think it's spectacular! OK, good. Do we need a rating system? If we go with the standard iPod five stars, I give this a good solid three. Maybe not really 100% postable, but I was anxious to prove to you all that I intend to post recipes, not just stories and random questions!

8C Vegetable broth
2 chopped onions
2C dried navy beans, soaked overnight
1C dried great Northern beans, soaked overnight
1C cooked or canned garbanzo beans
1/2C canned diced green chiles
1t crushed red pepper flakes (or chopped thai chiles)
2C canned tomatillos, crushed
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1T tabasco sauce
2t ground tumeric
salt and pepper to taste
2C shredded monterey jack cheese (8oz)
shredded pepper jack to garnish
diced red onion to garnish
hot wing sauce to garnish

First let me say "to heck with garnishing". Next let me say "what are great northern beans?" I filled that gap with more garbanzos and more navys. Lastly, "Fred Meyer doesn't carry tomatillos but green salsa seems to have worked fine for me"

In a large stockpot, combine the vegetable broth, onions, navy and great northern beans, garbanzo beans, green chiles, pepper flakes, tomatillos, jalapeno peppers, tabasco and tumeric.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the beans are tender, about 1.5 hr. season to taste w/salt & pepper.
Puree some of the chile to thicken and stir in the cheese.
Serve hot, topping each serving with the garnishes.

2 comments:

Jen said...

three stars is completely respectable! Plus, bonus points for the first recipe with a picture!! I saw that on flickr and wondered if that was the infamous white bean chili! hee hee.

Jen said...

and I also ment to add that it looks really tasty.