Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Pan Glazed Tofu with Thai Red Curry Sauce


Pan Glazed Tofu
Originally uploaded by lesliegardner.
This is a very good use of tofu and super easy! I thought it needed more simmering time, but I also made too much sauce. One of those "Oops - I added too much coconut milk. Oh well, I'll just add a little too much of everything else!"
Also, I used my vegan soup stock instead of chicken broth!

2-4 Servings
Time: 20 min (if you don't make too much sauce)

1 one-pound pk firm or extra firm tofu
1/4C coconut milk
1/4C chicken broth or stock
1T fish sauce
1T lime juice
1t thai red curry paste
1t granulated sugar
1T peanut oil
minced fresh cilantro for garnish

Cut tofu widthwise into eight 1/2" thick slices. Blot dry with paper towels.
Mix coconut milk, broth, fish sauce, lime juice, curry paste and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet until shimmering. Add tofu and cook over med heat until golden brown, 6-7 min. Turn and cook about 5 min more
Add coconut milk mixture to pan and simmer, turning tofu once, until liquid reduces to thick syrup and tofu is glazed, about 2 minutes. Transfer tofu to serving platter and scrape the glaze left in pan over the tofu. Garnish wiht minced cilantro and serve immediately

3 comments:

Jen said...

That looks really good! (both actually LOOKs good and sounds like it will taste good! nice food picture!) The curry sauce is almost all the same ingredients as the sauce of the curried chicken penne with mango salsa.

Do you know if coconut milk freezes well at all? I had some extra the last time I used it and thought I would give it a try since the baggie over the top of the can in the fridge method really wasn't working for me. I haven't tried melting it and using it yet.

Leslita said...

Funny you should mention that. I'm attempting to freeze it for my first time right now! 1/4 c is not much of a can and it seems like a terrible waste not to use the rest. On the can it said "may freeze for up to three months" so I guess they think it's OK. I guess we'll find out!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! This has happened to me so many times - not only with coconut milk but other ingrediants as well.
Thanks for the tip! Lynn G.