Saturday, September 17, 2005

Peach Butter with Cardamom

By popular demand (aka to appease the one person who asked for it) here is a recipe for peach butter. I have not tried it yet, but I think it looks really good.

Peach Butter with Cardamom

2 1/2 cups ripe peaches, peeled,pitted and sliced (about 1 pound)
To Remove Peach Skins: Dip peaches in boiling water and then in cold water; peel.
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or ground nutmeg

Stovetop instructions: Cook all ingredients in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until peach butter thickens, about 20 minutes. Store, tightly covered, in refrigerator.

Microwave Instructions: Cook all ingredients on High, uncovered for 10 minutes or until peach butter thickens.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Yay! Thanks for posting this - although now it looks like I need a recipe for Peach Butter since it is listed as an ingredient in the Peach Butter with cardamom!

What would you use this on? It sounds so good that I fear I must have it, but I don't know what I would do with it once I made it. Eat it out of the jar with a spoon? (hey - it's a valid option)

Martina said...

Scones? Toast? I don't know what the consistency of it is, so it's hard to think of much more than that. Don't make it, though, until I have re-checked the recipe. Maybe the peach butter recipe requiring peach butter is a typo on my part. I think I may have been in a hurry when I was typing it up.

Martina said...

I just checked and I don't think the 1 cup peach butter was part of the recipe. I think it was the yield! I'll post the corrected version later today, but their suggestions for use were: "This makes a buttery-smooth preserve and is a great way to use peaches that are too ripe to can. Excellent on biscuits, pancakes, toast, waffles". Basically, the recipe ingredients end with the nutmeg

Jen said...

YUM! Thank you! I will definitely have to try this one.

Martina said...

Let me know how it turns out, if you do. I've been meaning to for ages, but never seem to get around to it. Maybe this weekend...