Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Roasted Figs

Even though we ate this with Christmas dinner, it was really supposed to be an appetizer. I made it from a recipe, but you really don't need one, because it's very simple to put them together. Here is what you need:

figs (as many as you think will be eaten)
blue cheese (enough so you have a small piece to go with each fig)
prociutto
honey
pepper

Cut a slit in each fig and stuff with a small piece of blue cheese. Wrap each fig in a slice of prosciutto, then place the figs on a baking sheet.

Roast figs in a 400 degree oven (a toaster oven works too) until the prosciutto melts slightly and forms a skin around thee figs (about 12-15 minutes). Transfer to a serving plate, drizzle with honey and season with freshly ground pepper.

4 comments:

Jen said...

This was also very delicious! Where did you find figs? Were they fresh, or dried? Whatever they were, they were also yummy.

Martina said...

The recipe said fresh, but all I could find were dried. I am not sure that I have ever actually seen a fresh fig in person! At any rate, I got them at Trader Joe's.

Jen said...

Mmmm! they were yummy. Bonnie has a fig tree - they are only ripe for a really short time - but they are delicious! I'll have to see if I can get some next year (I think it is late summer when they are ripe).

Martina said...

I'm glad you liked them despite Citizen R's insistence that they were "weird looking". We'll have to try it again when they are in seaon. I bet they're good fresh!