Sunday, February 05, 2006

Apple and Parsnip Soup


IMG_7346
Originally uploaded by lesliegardner.
I know, it sounds weird, but it is really good! And cheap! And vegetarian! And good for you!

1T butter
1# parsnips
1# apples (I used braeburn)
1 onion, chopped
2t curry pwd
1t cumin
1t coriander
1/2t cardamom
1 clove garlic, crushed
salt & pepper
5C homemade chicken stock or canned reduced soduim chicken broth (I made my own vegetable broth from the peeled skins of all the veggies in the soup!)
2/3C half and half (I used the fat free kind even though I don't understand how it can exist)

In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add parsnips, apples and onion. Cover and cook 7-10 min.
Add spices, garlic, salt & pepper and cook about 2 min more, stirring constantly.
Add the stock or broth, cover and simmer gently until the parsnips are tender, about 30 min.
Transfer to a blender or food processor in batches and process until smooth. If necessary, add more broth or water. Return to the same saucepan and whisk in the half and half. Heat through over low heat.
Supposed to be garnished with chives and croutons, but who can be bothered? Well, I'm sure the croutons would be a great addition, but I am a total garnish-skipper.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I just bought parsnips so I can try this! Although now I am worried that I got turnips instead... Darn confusing white root vegetables! Anyway, it looks tasty and I intend to try it soon.

Jen said...

I checked, and I did indeed buy turnips. But I am going to try it anyway. Live dangerously, right? hee hee.

Jen said...

OK-- the turnips are GO! It worked out great. I used 3 cloves of garlic instead of 2, and I used a little milk instead of half and half, because that's what we do with another soup that is similar and it works fine. OOOH! I also used a stick blender! It worked GREAT! No portioning out for blending or processing, just stick the blender in and go to town.

Nancy said...

I agree with Jen, this soup is good with turnips. Now we will have to try it with parsnips. We had it with grill cheese sandwiches. Mmmmmm all around.