Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Red Lentil Mulligatawny with Apple-Celery Salsa


lentil mulligatawny soup
Originally uploaded by jensect.
Leslie - I'm so inspired by your soups, we went and tried a new one last night. this is from the lastest issue of Cooking Light, and it is GOOD! I am pretty sure I just used regular old lentils instead of red lentils, but it tasted pretty good anyway.

***
This rich, creamy soup will thicken as it cools. Thin with hot water, a tablespoon at a time, to the desired consistency. Lentils provide fiber, folate, and protein, as well as iron. The fresh topping adds vitamin C plus a dose of quercetin.

Salsa:

2/3 cup finely chopped Granny Smith apple
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

Soup:

3 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 cup dried small red lentils
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups light coconut milk\
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. To prepare salsa, combine the first 4 ingredients, cover and chill

2. To prepare soup, combine broth, lentils, and onion in a Dutch oven over medium high heat (I just used my regular soup pan); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until lentils are tender. Pour half of lentil mixture in a blender; let stand 5 minutes. Process until smooth. Pour pureed lentil mixture into a bowl. Pour remaining lentil mixture into blender; process until smooth. Add coconut milk, tomato paste, ginger, cumin, and turmeric; process until smooth. Return coconut milk mixture and remaining pureed lentil mixture to pan. Cover and simmer over medium heat 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in 1 teaspoon juice, salt, and pepper. Ladle about 1 cup soup into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with 1/4 cup salsa. Yield: 4 servings.

6 comments:

Leslita said...

Holy freaking frijoles that looks good! I can't wait to try it! Coconut milk, even! WOW!

Leslita said...

I made this today and it is incredible! I was skeptical about the merits of the salsa but it really adds something. Of course, the soup is still incredible without it but I won't skip the salsa next time like I thought I might. I doubled it, knowing that I'd love this soup and I still wish I had more! I miscalculated the coconut milk I had on hand and had to use part almond milk, but I think it turned out just fine that way. Thanks again, Jen! My life would not be complete without this recipe!!

Martina said...

Due to 1982 (The Year of the Lentil in the Powellhurst house), I am not a big lentil fan, but I must say this looks REALLY good. I think we may have to try it one night this week.

Jen said...

Woo! I am glad you liked it. The salsa is pretty great, isn't it? It's not just a pretty condiment! The soup made up a lot thicker than I was expecting (even though they said "it will be thick!"), so next time I would probably keep a better eye on that, but otherwise, I thought it was really delicious.

Martina, if there was ever anything to make you tempt The year of the Lentil again, this soup should be it! It's very tasty (and good for you!!)

crash said...

cool!

Leslita said...

I just made a variation of this using part red lentils, part green lentils and part yellow split peas. I used curry instead of cumin and canned diced tomatoes instead of paste. SUPER tasty!