Monday, July 16, 2007

CSA Week 4

In week 4 mom and I met halfway at Whole Foods and sat for an hour talking and eating the Bing Cherries we got in the box. Well, mom ate half of one cherry and threw it back in the bag because she wasn't really hungry after her WF Spanikopita. I, however, ate half the bag sitting there and the other half once I got home.

I used part of the yellow squash to make a spicy chipotle frittata with spinach

Frittata after

I'm also excited to be using my iron skillet.

Since mom kept the kohlrabi she gave me all the squash. She likes the idea of one person keeping all of one veggie and I am more of the "split everything" camp. I just want to have a taste of everything, even if it's only a little. She'd rather maximize possibilities for each item, which I totally get.

(Jen, how did you feel about quotes in the above context? Unnecessary? OK?)

So I chopped the rest of the squash in with some roasted red pepper, cannelini beans and basil I'd preserved in olive oil.

Salad toppings

To this, I added tuna fish and dumped it all over some of the lovely Red Tide lettuce we got in the box. Delish.

The blueberries were, of course, smoothie stuff.

2 comments:

Jen said...

ooh -- those pictures look really good. It's making me hungry, actually.

p.s. those quotes do not bug me at all! if you'd said she likes the idea of one person "keeping" all of one veggie then I might have had to come over and tape your fingers together or something.

I thought the blueberries had really good flavor!

Leslita said...

Hee hee! If you taped my fingers together it would be "uncomfortable"!