Monday, July 16, 2007

CSA Week 5

I made the trek out to Forest Grove to pick up the veggies from my mom this week. Here's a photo of most of the haul:

IMG_1244

Broccoli, 2 kinds of squash, onions, blackberries and blueberries (unbelievable head of lettuce not pictured)

I pretty much put everything together into a giant stiry fry very loosely based on another of Heidi Swanson's recipes from her beautiful book, Super Natural Cooking, which I am deeply in love with. I may have mentioned this before.

But when it came time to add the hoisin sauce, I just couldn't. So I didn't. And it turned out that the fresh mint and basil from my mom's backyard, the ginger, garlic and red pepper provided plenty of flavor and I could still taste the veggies (I find hoisin a little overpowering in vegetarian dishes).

IMG_1258

I tried serving it with this tofu noodle thing I found at the store, which as it turns out is pretty much devoid of nutritional value but I liked the texture and taste anyway.

IMG_1260

So far I've noticed:

The amounts have been good for two people except last week I needed help with all the lettuce because some of it did go bad the week before but probably because I accidentally bought spinach, forgetting I had lettuce coming.

There are little green worms etc. Today I threw a couple of those out my window on a piece of broccoli into the courtyard. I don't know if they can eat the plants out there but at least they have a better chance of survival than in my garbage disposal. I wonder if any of my neighbors noticed. Hee.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I think the lettuce is kind of delicate. It is delicious and HUGE, but it gets soft for us too. Next week I'm going to try sticking it in a bowl of water RIGHT AWAY and see if that helps keep it a little longer.

I can't believe you got patty pan squash!! I didn't!

Go you with your worm saving ways. hee hee.

Leslita said...

PP Squash: I wonder if that is because mom picks up the veggies at the farm and they had some extras or something.
We got some this week too!!!